Wood flooring installation is an investment. And like any investment, once you’ve made it, you want to protect it. That’s why it’s important to maintain your hardwood floors properly. The better you take care of them, the longer they will last, lending your home that warm, timeless appeal that’s made this flooring style so universally beloved.
The bulk of hardwood flooring maintenance boils down to keeping them clean. This is because keeping your floor clean prevents scratching and deterioration from debris like salt, chemicals, dust, etc. The following tips will help you maintain gorgeous, rich, and clean hardwood flooring that will last a lifetime.
How to Keep Hardwood Floors Looking New
- Dust Regularly. Dust particles can cause scratching, which can ruin the look of your floors. Dusting all the surfaces in your home prevents the dust from falling onto your floor. You should use a dust mop directly on your floors as well.
- Vacuum/Sweep Often. Just like dust, dirt build-up on your floors can diminish its appearance. It’s recommended that you either vacuum or sweep at least once a week, but preferably more often than that.
- Use Quality Floor Cleaners. Cleaning your floors with a cleaner is also vital to maintaining its new appearance. It’s recommended to clean hardwood floors in high traffic areas once a week, and floors in lower-traffic areas at least once a month.
- Look for cleaners that will work with your floor’s finish, and carefully examine the ingredients in the cleaner to ensure they won’t be damaging. Bona is a great brand of hardwood floor cleaner. You can also make a homemade cleaner of 1 gallon of water, 1/8 cup plant-based liquid soap and 1/8 cup distilled white vinegar. Add 8-10 drops of an essential oil like orange for an invigorating fresh scent.
- Clean Spills Immediately: Spills are inevitable. But ensuring that you clean them up promptly will prevent them from further damaging your floors. Using a dry or damp cloth will usually do the trick (depending on what has been spilled).
Aside from keeping your floors as clean as possible, there are a few other things you can do to ensure that your hardwood floors stay looking as great as they did the day that you installed them.
- Use Furniture Pads. Furniture can scratch your floors, which is why it’s a good idea to attach furniture pads to the legs of your chairs, couches, tables etc. to prevent this.
- Polish Your Floors. Four times a year (once every three months), you should polish your floors to keep them looking as good as new. After dusting, and vacuuming your floors to remove all excess debris, use a water-based polish on your floors to restore its luster and shine.
- Restore or Refinish. Once several years have elapsed since your original wood flooring installation, you should consider restoring or refinishing your wood floors to bring them back to their initial appearance.
Hardwood floors are meant to last and with proper care they will, looking as good as new for years and years in your home. If you have questions about wood flooring installation or maintenance, feel free to reach out to us. We’d love to help.